October may fall right in the middle of the off-season in Jackson Hole, but it still is a host to activities. See for yourself the offerings this gem of an autumnal month has in store in and around Jackson Hole. You will be happily surprised!
You must take a scenic drive in and around Jackson Hole in October: Leaf peepers will not be disappointed!
Bonus: Many area restaurants begin offering meal deals during October—and who doesn't enjoy cheap eats?
Calendar of Events
Ongoing throughout the month:
• Bluegrass Tuesday's in the Silver Dollar Showroom at the historic Wort Hotel has been bringing locals and visitors together for 15 years, year-round, through the music of One Ton Pig; 7-10:30 p.m.
• Wyoming Stargazing offers free, year-round, public stargazing events on Thursdays in the northwest corner of the Stilson parking lot off Hwy. 390 and 22, behind the bus hut where there are no lights. Astronomy educators use one of their large aperture telescopes to show you planets, stars, planetary nebulae, galaxies, and more. There is no need to reserve your spot in advance; just come and go as you please.
• An open mic night is held at 6:30 p.m. every Thursday at Cowboy Coffee on Town Square
• Honky Tonk Wednesdays at the Stagecoach Bar in Wilson - Pete Muldoon & The Pilgrims; 5-8 p.m.; floor show and dancing - stagecoachbar.net
2: 26th Annual Manhattan Short Film Festival - Center of the Arts; 7 p.m.; - jhcenterforthearts.org
1: Snow King Mountain Resort closing day for the summer.
8: Aerial Tram at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort closes operations for summer. - jacksonhole.com
9: Old Faithful Inn closes in Yellowstone National Park - nps.gov/yell
27: Annual Ski Swap - New and used Alpine, Nordic and snowboard equipment and clothing at Snow King Sports & Event Center - jhskiclub.org
31: Watch all the young trick-or-treaters on Town Square. Held from 3 to 5 p.m., this annual event is a classic Halloween favorite of both young and old.
31: Craig Thomas Discovery & Visitor Center closes for the season
31: Moose Wilson Road closes for the season
Other October Things To Do
• Soak in a Hot Springs Pool
Take a nice, warm soak at Astoria Hot Springs or Granite Hot Springs.
Astoria Hot Springs Park: Open year-round, Astoria Hot Springs boasts five pools, two of which are ADA-accessible; there is also a children's pool. It is just 20 minutes south of Jackson's Town Square in the Snake River Canyon. Multiple soaking sessions are available daily beginning at 9 a.m. Reservations are strongly recommended as passes do sell out. Cost: $18 adults/$14 children ages 2-12; free for kids under 24 months. Visit astoriahotspringspark.org for more information.
Granite Hot Springs: Located just 30 miles southeast of Jackson Hole, this a great way to end your day after exploring the Granite Creek area. The hot springs flow out of the surrounding rocks and into a 7-foot-deep, 104-degree swimming pool. The thermal pool is open through October from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Changing rooms are available and snacks/refreshments are for sale. The cost (cash only) is $8 for adults and $5 for children.
• Take a Trail Ride
Get your cowboy on and enjoy a guided horseback ride amongst the amazing fall foliage with Spring Creek Ranch’s Castagno Outfitters. Through October 15th, you can ride atop the East Gros Ventre Butte, enjoying jaw-dropping views of the Teton Range, Jackson, and the surrounding area. Giddy-yap special memories!