Explore the beautiful horseback riding in Jackson Hole and connect to a Western heritage that dates back to the 19th century. Ranches and outfitters in Jackson Hole offer a variety of horseback riding options to suit all ages, skills, and desires.
Whether heading out for a 2-hour scenic ride or a multi-day pack trip, there’s no better way to cover ground while enjoying an immersion in the pristine Jackson Hole wilderness. Try a gentle horseback riding introduction or choose from routes that splash along through creek beds, climb mountains, wind into the wilderness, ride to a fishing spot, or package a morning ride with an afternoon whitewater float!
- Duration: Choose from trail rides as short as 1 hour, up to a full-day or even overnight pack trips.
- Cost: Many outfitters offer packages. 1-hour rides start around $50 per person with full-day rides nearing $200 including lunch and sometimes dinner. Overnights, fishing rides, and custom arrangements are available--inquire directly for pricing.
- Where? It's your call! Different outfitters specialize in different areas and types of rides. Ride just minutes from the Town Square, at Snow King or Teton Village, or further afield in the wilderness of the Gros Ventre, Hoback, or a national forest.
- Ages: Depends on the outfitter, though generally ages 6 and up. Some offer “lead arounds” for children under 8.
- Intensity: Easy to moderate: your choice! Speak to your outfitter about choosing a ride suitable to your skill level, stamina, and goals for the day. No experience is necessary!
- Highlights: Discovering our beautiful valley from a saddle, just as the original ranchers and homesteaders did before you.
Families and friends that want to explore together. Horseback riding can be a great way to level the fitness playing field and enable everyone to cover ground into the wild as a group. The well-mannered and mountain-trained horses make exploration easy, allowing you to travel further and see more than you would on foot. Not to mention the higher vantage point of being up on the saddle—there’s a reason cowboys ride horses!
What are my options?
Plentiful. Make sure to consider what region of Jackson Hole you’d like to explore, the ages of your group members, and how much time you have to spend.
Try out a ride with a simpler excursion around the Snake River Ranch with Teton Village Trail Rides. For more options, Spring Creek Ranch frames most of their rides against the backdrop of the Tetons, while Mill Iron Ranch offers a wide variety of rides out into the mountain trails of the wilderness and fishing streams.
For a longer experience, trying “dudeing” at a guest ranch like Triangle X, where guests enjoy the rare opportunity to ride within Grand Teton National Park. Depending on your choice, meals, fishing equipment, or an overnight camping experience may be included.
For those seeking shorter outings, try a 2 night stay camping in style with Glamping of Jackson Hole just 30 mins from the Town Square. Lay your hat in Bridger-Teton National Forest with “Safari-style” stand-up wall tents. Daily horseback rides, and other activities with all meals included and prepared by the on-site chef using local ingredients.
When's a good time to go?
As long as the weather is enjoyable, your trip will be, too. Remember to plan for the heat (and chill) of different parts of the day. Any summer day in Jackson will have great riding, and many companies continue to offer trips into the changing foliage of early autumn.
Related: Jackson Hole Weather Tips
What should I bring?
This will also depend on which type of trip you’re doing. In general, no sandals or flip flops, and no backpacks. Wrangler guides recommend long pants. Sunscreen and bug repellent is always helpful, and if you own a cowboy hat, this is the time!
The Last Word
Jackson Hole, as the Last of the Old West, is lucky to have options for horseback riding as varied as the nature where we ride. Learn how to ride a horse and direct it, or follow a wrangler as he guides you up exciting switchbacks and across narrow ridges. Whichever option entices, horseback riding in Jackson Hole promises a family-friendly trip you won’t forget with scenery to match.